come away(intr)(和我一起)走/离开:
Come away now, It’s time to go home.
快走吧。该回家了。
come away/off(intr)自行脱落:
When I pickd up the teapot the handle came away in my hand.
我拿起茶壶时,茶壶掉了而只剩茶壶柄在我手里。
come in(intr),come into( tr)进入:
Someone knocked at my door and I said,‘Come in.’
有人敲我的门,我说:“进来。”
Come into the garden and I’ll show you my roses.
到花园里来,我给你看我的玫瑰花。
come off(intr)
(a)(计划或阴谋)成功(用于否定句):
I’m afraid that scheme of yours won’t come off.It needs more capitalthan you have available.
恐怕你那个计划不会成功。它需要的投资不是你能拿得出来的。
(b) 发生,按预先安排的那样发生:
—When is the wedding coming off?
—Next June.
—婚礼什么时候举行?
—6月份。
如果我们说The duchess was to have opened the bazaar(公爵夫人本来是要为义卖主持开幕仪式的),我们的意思是说计划是那样订的,但没有实现(她本安排好要去为它揭幕,但后来不得不取消这一安排)。
(c)(话剧、展览等)结束一轮演出或展出:
‘Lady windermere’s Fan’is coming off next week.You’d better hurryif you want to see it.
《少奶奶的扇子》下周要结束演出了。你要想看的话得抓紧点。
come out(intr)
(a)被揭露或发觉(这里的主语常是the truth真相/the facts事实/the whol story 全部内情等;并且一般指有关人士想竭力掩盖的事实即丑闻等):
They deceived everybody till they quarrelled among themselves;then onepublicly denounced the others and the whole truth came out.
他们把大家都骗了,直到后来内讧起来,其中一个人公开揭发了别人,这才真相大白。
(b)(书籍)发行:
Her new novel will be coming out in time for the Christmas sales.
她的新小说将赶在圣诞节购物潮时发行。
(c)(污渍)消除,洗掉:
Tomato stains don’t usually come out.
西红柿污渍一般洗不净。
come round(intr)
(a)终于接受以前所反对的建议:
Her father at first refused to let her study abroad but he came round(to it)in the end.
她父亲起初反对她去外国念书,但终于回心转意了。(他说可以让她去。)
(b)到某人的家里来:
I’ll come round after dinner and tell you the plan.
我晚饭后来转一下,把计划说给你听。
come round/to(intr;to重读) 恢复知觉:
When we found him he was unconscious but he came round/to in half anhour and explained that he had been attacked and robbed.
我们发现他时他已失去知觉,但是半小时后他恢复了知觉,说他遭到殴打抢劫。
come up(intr)
(a) 升到水面,生长出来:
A diver with an aqualung doesn’t have to keep coming up for air;he canstay underwater for quite a long time.
备有潜水供氧器的潜水员无需不断升出水面呼吸;他可以在水下停留相当长的时间。
Weeds are coming up everywhere.
杂草到处蔓生。
(b)被提到:
The question of the caretaker’s wages came up at the last meeting.
在上次会议中提到了看楼人的工资问题。
come up(intr),come up to(tr)走近,来到能说话的近处:
A policeman was standing a few yards away.He came up to me and said,‘You can’t park here.’
几码外站着一位警察。他走过来并对我说:“你不能把车子停放在这里。”
crop
crop up(intr)出现,意外地或偶然地出现(主语常是一个抽象名词如difficulties困难/the subject题目或是一个代词):
At first all sorts of difficulties cropped up and delayed us.Later we learnthow to anticipate these.
起初冒出来了各式各样的困难,耽搁了我们。后来我们学会了如何为这些困难预作准备。
cut
cut down a tree 砍倒树木:
If you cut down all the trees you will ruin the land.(cut the trees down/ cut them down)
你要是砍倒所有的树木,就会把土地给毁了。
cut down(tr) 减少数量:
We must cut down expenses or we’ll be getting into debt.
我们得减少支出,否则就要负债了。
‘This article is too long,’said the editor.‘Could you cut it down to2,000 words?’
“这篇文章太长了,”编辑说,“你能不能把它缩到两千字?”
cut in(intr)在车距极近的不安全情况下并行抢道并插到另一辆车前面:
Accidents are often caused by drivers cutting in.
车祸常由司机抢道插到别的车前面而引起。
cut off(tr)切断、停止供应(宾语可以是水、电、煤气,也可以是被停供的人):
The Company has cut off our electricity supply because we haven’t paidour bill.(cut our supply off/cut it off)
因为我们没有付电费,公司断了我们的电。
They’ve cut off the water/our water supply temporarily because they arerepairing one of the main pipes.
他们暂时断了我们的水源,因为在修其中的一条主要的水管。
We were cut off in the middle of our(telephone)conversation.
我们(电)话还没完,就被掐断了。(这可能是偶然的事,也可能是电话接线员故意的行为。)
cut someone off 阻挡某人使其不能逃到安全地带(常用于指潮水围困,特别是用被动态时):
We were cut off by the tide and had to be rescued by boat.
我们被潮水困住了,只好由小船搭救出来。
be cut off(intr)被隔绝在不方便的地方(主语常是某一地方或住在某一地方的人):
You will be completely cut off if you go to live in that village becausethere is a bus only once a week.
你要是去住在那个村里,就会与世隔绝了,因为那里每周只有一班公共汽车。